Saturday 9 July 2016

Wardrobe Architect Week Two: Defining Core style

Here is week 2 of Wardrobe Architect, it’s only about a month late!

This week's exercises are about how you want to feel in clothes, and what kind of look you want to project.... 

When you are wearing your favourite clothing, how do you feel? (e.g. confident, sexy, poised, powerful, etc.)
My favourite clothes make me feel confident and awesome. At the moment, my favourite thing to wear is a jumpsuit that makes me feel like I’m ready to do gymnastics or dance all night. I don’t do gymnastics or dancing till dawn, but the jumpsuit makes me feel like I’m ready to…

When you are wearing something that isn’t quite right, how do you feel? What are the feelings you want to avoid?
Uninspired, uncomfortable, and awkward. I try to avoid drab clothes that don’t feel very ‘me’ and make me feel flat and boring.

Who consider to be your style icons? What is it about them that appeals to you?
I find this question strangely difficult! Obviously, I admire Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe and all those old movie stars who were impossibly gorgeous and stylish, but I wouldn’t say that any of their styles speak to me especially.
One person whose style I love love love is Christina Hendricks, especially her wardrobe in Mad Men:




Christina Hendricks is the only celebrity or actress I can think of who has big boobs and wears gorgeous clothes. (this wardrobe architect thing is making it seem like I am obsessed with boobs…) It is so refreshing to see someone with big boobs who doesn’t look frumpy and matronly or fake and permatanned. I don’t necessarily want to dress exactly like her, but her existence brings me joy.
If I’m perfectly honest, I just want to dress like Zooey Deschanel. I just want to wear peter pan collars and cute little dresses all the time. 


What are some words that describe styles that you like in theory, but are not quite you?
Ladylike, chic, elegant. I love the Audrey Hepburn look but I am not skinny or boyish-looking, and I would look dreadful in anything designed for those kinds of figures. I like the idea of ladylike elegance, but I find it a little restrictive and boring.  

Look over your answers from last week on history, philosophy, culture, community, activities, location, and body. List at least 15 words that you associate with your answers. Think about descriptive words, moods, and feelings you associate with these things ( I have also added things I’d like my core style to be, not just what it is or things inspired by the answers to week 1):

  1. Joyful
  2. Colourful
  3. Creative
  4. Handmade
  5. Polished
  6. Unique
  7. Ethical
  8. Unusual
  9. Confident
  10. Well-made
  11. Well-designed
  12. Interesting
  13. Adaptable
  14. Fun
  15. Thoughtful
Look over the answers to all of the questions above. If you had to narrow your list to only 3-5 words to describe you, which words would you choose? – again, I don’t think they describe ME, but the style I’d like to have,

  1. Joyful
  2. Creative
  3. Confident
  4. Polished
Visual Exercise
Collect 15-20 images that represent these 3-5 words for you. You could create a Pinterest board, a folder on your computer, a mood board, or a collage. Be creative and have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment