Friday 18 March 2016

Seamstressing(ish)

As I said in a post a few weeks back, one of the things I want to do this year is start sewing again. I have been reading sewing blogs and drooling over the work of DIY seamstresses on Instagram for months now – it’s time for me to get on with it!
About a month ago I dragged Laura to Goldhawk Road so I could buy loads of fabric. I definitely needed it and don’t at all have a wardrobe full of fabric at my parents’ house… 
We had fun going round the shops (despite Laura complaining about being in zone 2) and kept getting life advice from all the shopkeepers. 
New fabric
This is my newly acquired fabric. I may have bought some more heart print fabric online since taking this picture..,

I need to make my own clothes because I am sick of the shapeless, beige clothes that are in the shops at the moment. Other people seem to find nice clothes but every time I go shopping I find nothing but sludge-brown t-shirts. I just want to wear cute dresses! I want to wear cute dresses that fit me and make me feel awesome.

Patterns
My pattern collection (well, part of it) I'm really leaning to the dress on the bottom left
I’m a little worried about using a commercial pattern because I’ve never used one before and I’ll have to do full bust adjustments for all the tops and dresses I make. I’m really worried that it’s going to be difficult and time-consuming and ruin sewing for me! I need to relax about it because it can’t be impossible, and once I’ve done it’ll be easier next time. Luckily, most of these patterns come from indie designers who have extensive blog posts with instructions and tips for doing all kinds of alterations. 

Fingers crossed I'm my way to having a gorgeous handmade wardrobe that will make me look like a goddess and make everyone jealous of me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment