Wednesday 27 May 2015

Don't let the bastards get you down

I feel like I need WWII propaganda posters to get me through

I haven’t blogged for long time because ever since the election I have been failing to write a blog post that isn’t a rant about the outcome. Let’s just say that I’m pretty fucking heartbroken about it.


Here is the Haiku I have written on the subject:

Election result
Fuck off posh Eton wankers
Selfish bastard cunts.

(This is the first and only haiku I have ever written, possibly the first poem I’ve written in about 8 years. I think the world is missing out.)

I could rant on but it would just end up a list of expletives, and I feel the haiku expresses my feelings pretty comprehensively. I could mention that Cameron seems to be trolling us by appointing a health minister who is opposed to abortion and an equalities minister who voted against equal marriage… But I don’t want to descend into ranting…

Here are the things that have made me happy in recent times:

Grace and Frankie – Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin become best friends when their husbands announce they have been having an affair for the last 20 years. It’s on Netflix, WATCH IT. 

Four day weekend – I decided to have Friday off and make the spring bank holiday into a four day weekend. It was the best decision I’ve ever made.

Watching hipster romcoms like What If and Like Crazy

Having a whole day with Paul just hanging out, watching Ab Fab and having an indoor picnic.

Tamara Drewe by Posy Simmonds – you can see all the original strips on the Guardian website. They are hilarious. My mum has a few Posy Simmonds books and I’d forgotten how much I love them.

This excellent blanket that I’m making:

Wip- ripple blanket
(I feel like the woman in the picture at the top - crocheting away with doooom looming) 

The Mill which was on channel 4 and is all about a 19th century cotton mill. It is brutal and depressing and everyone looks dirty and disgusting in it. But it is really good. I keep thanking my lucky stars that I am alive now, even with a tory government. At least I can vote, at least I can prevent pregnancy! And I have contact lenses! I always have to remind myself that I wouldn’t have been able to see properly and I would have been made very attractive by my uncorrected lazy eye. The mill is certainly improved by the inclusion of the beautiful Matthew McNulty as who plays the mill’s engineer and trade unionist. 


No comments:

Post a Comment