Sunday 12 August 2012

HOW WILL I COPE WITHOUT THE OLYMPICS?

 
Untitled

I have been IN LOVE with the Olympics this last fortnight. From the moment Kenneth Branagh came out in his top hat and said:

Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open and show riches
Ready to drop upon me that, when I waked,
I cried to dream again.

Thank God for the Paralympics because there's no way I could deal with the whole thing being over. I don't even like sport!

My favourite bits of the Olympics
 
The Opening Ceremony

I am OBSESSED with the opening ceremony, I watched it TWICE and didn’t stop talking about it for about a week. Could it have been better? It was a vision of the Britain we all love:

The NHS – everyone knows the NHS is the greatest thing this country has ever created and the Opening Ceremony celebrated it with DANCING doctors and nurses.
The QUEEN in a skit. THE QUEEEN.
We have the best music EVER
We (well, Tim Berners-Lee) created THE INTERNET (well the part for ordinary people to use) and he gave it to the world FOR FREE. WEEEP.
J K Rowling reading Peter Pan
Suffragettes
The Windrush generation
A CLIP FROM GREGORY’S GIRL
And JOY

The country would be much happier if we just lived in a version of the opening ceremony all the time! We just need to gather up all the Tories and Daily Mail readers (ie. the ones who ruin everything), put them in a boat and let them go off to seek their fortunes in new places. Bit harsh?

I love sport (apparently)
A sporting event other than Wimbledon was interesting to me for the first time EVER. I was so addicted to the Olympics that I felt twitchy when I knew I was missing the Olympics. We are THIRD in the medal table. THIRD. How on earth has this happened? Have you seen how small we are? 
My family have been so swept up by Olympic excitement that we actually went down to Hyde Park to see the Men's triathlon go by and wave flags.

All the women!
I've never seen women's sport has never been given this much love and attention.  Aside from all the amazing achievements of the women in Team GB, this is the first year that women have competed in every single sport and the first year than every country has sent a female athlete. Someone left flowers on Emmeline Pankhurst's grave in recognition of that fact

Claire Balding
The BEST Olympic presenter. 

IT'S NOT EVEN OVER! 
We have the paralympics to look forward to and I'm going WOOOOO.

It's time for me to go and watch the Closing Ceremony and eat the most massive bowl of ice cream. Fingers crossed for David Bowie singing Heroes and Kate Bush.


No comments:

Post a Comment